Carlsbad sits on the Pacific coast, and it is a hot spot for anyone who loves the ocean. Residents of Carlsbad are near California’s beautiful coastline with stunning views of the sea. The last thing residents want to do is miss a gorgeous day at the beach because of a slab leak. All Star Plumbing & Restoration is ready for any slab leak repair Carlsbad.
What Are Slab Leaks?
Slab leaks occur when a water line is damaged, cracked, or broken. The water may leak into the foundation of your home, yet the cause of the leak is often invisible. If a water line becomes excessively hot or cold, it can expand or contract until a crack appears. By the time a homeowner discovers the slab leak, extensive damage may have already occurred. Locating the leak is a complicated task for the untrained person. Many slab leaks are within layers of concrete which make them difficult to reach.
What Can Cause a Slab Leak?
There are several common causes for slab leaks. Detecting, locating and repairing leaks usually require the assistance of a trained professional. This expert can detect the location of the leak and inform the homeowner about the cause of the specific slab leak.
There are two common causes for most slab leaks:
- Corrosion – When a chemical reaction in the pipe is involved, corrosion may occur. This usually happens when the water in the pipe is exposed to corrosive chemicals. The result is often a loss of water pressure as water leaks through the pipe. Many pipes in older homes used galvanized or copper pipes; these type of pipes are more prone to corrosive damage.
- Vibrations – Water pressure can cause the pipes to vibrate. This vibration can increase the amount of movement in the pipes, especially where the joints are weak. Any change to the water temperature within the pipe can also cause the metal to expand or contract. Both of these changes may cause a water pipe to crack, which starts the leaking.
- Poor Pipe Construction – Water lines need proper insulation with high-quality structural supports underneath the concrete slab. A poorly constructed pipe is susceptible to damage by corrosion, vibration and temperature fluctuation. There is a high probability that the line will crack and leak.
Common Slab Leak Symptoms
We can determine the location of a slab leak and provide the repairs necessary to fix the problem. Slab leaks have many symptoms.
Common symptoms of a slab leak include:
- Audible sounds of water running through the walls even when all of the faucets, taps and hoses are off.
- Mysterious warm spots on parts of the flooring.
- Unexplained cracks in the walls or the floors where the slab has shifted because of the leak.
- Moisture, mildew or mold build-up underneath the carpets.
- A sudden increase in the monthly water bill.