The State of California has decided to continue some of the water restrictions that it instituted during the drought that gripped the state for nearly six years. As a result, residents of Mission Viejo need to conserve the amount of water that they use because of the impact that it has on the community’s water supply. Slab leaks can cause your water consumption to sky rocket in a short amount of time. This is bad for both the environment and your expenses. In addition to installing water-efficient shower heads, toilets and other eco-friendly products, many Mission Viejo residents have adopted smart irrigation controllers and drought-tolerant landscaping to conserve water. Despite your conservation efforts, you could still be wasting water without realizing it. The team at All Star Plumbing and Restoration are slab leak repair Mission Viejo area 24 hours a day.
What Is A Slab Leak ?
A slab leak is a term used to describe the loss of water from a damaged pipe situated inside a concrete foundation. Shifting soil and fluctuating temperatures create a perpetual cycle of expansion and contraction that stress the plumbing by causing friction between the pipes and concrete. As water flows through a pipe, the vibrations can erode the material resulting in a small pinpoint-size hole. These situations can cause small cracks that can expand over time. A leak can occur in a supply line or a drainpipe.
What Causes A Slab Leak ?
A number of factors contribute to slab leaks. While some problems are related to the specific type of pipes installed, other issues can arise regardless of the material that is used.
- Cast iron, copper and galvanized metal pipes are susceptible to corrosion. A chemical reaction between the minerals and moisture in the soil can erode the exterior layer of the pipe. Chemicals contained in the water can corrode the interior of the plumbing.
- As pipes vibrate in response to flowing water or expand and contract because of weather fluctuation, they rub against the surrounding concrete or dirt. The friction wears away the metal resulting in a leak under the slab.
- Orange County has significant seismic activity. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the area can experience as many as 30 tremors a day. When this occurs, the vibration jars the concrete encasing your pipes. While most of the tremors are not powerful enough to be felt, the cumulative effect can stress the pipes and connections resulting in leaks.
Slab Leak Repair Services
In addition to conserving water, repairing a leak quickly will help minimize the damage and the measures required to correct the problem. It is essential that homeowners in Mission Viejo, California remain vigilant to ensure that their residences remain leak free. Signs of a slab leak repair Mission Viejo include:
- An increased utility bill for no apparent reason
- A hot or cold spot on the floor
- Low water pressure that cause toilets to flush poorly and faucets to run slowly
- Cracks in the foundation
- Mold growing under the carpet
- Buckled or discolored flooring
- The sound of running water or the water heater cycling on even though all your faucets are closed
- A large puddle of water on the floor or outside your home near the foundation in the absence of rain
Despite these telltale signs, it may be difficult to locate a small pinpoint-size hole in the foundation because the water can travel beyond the damaged area. These small leaks can expand over time and cause significant damage. You will be responsible for the water bill if the leak occurs on your property. In addition to damaging wood, drywall and insulation, the water can create an environment that fosters the growth of harmful mold.
If you suspect that you have a slab leak, it is important that you contact a professional plumber experienced in slab leak detection. Slab leak repair Mission Viejo also requires specialized skills. All Star Plumbing and Restoration uses line tracing techniques along with a variety of tools, including acoustical sensors, to locate the source of a leak. This will enable our team to isolate and seal off the leak so that it can be properly repaired.
Handling A Slab Leak Before It Becomes A Problem
If you suspect a slab leak, it is critical that the issue be addressed quickly. A minor leak can result in major repair expenses if left unchecked. It is also important that you locate reputable plumber that you can trust. An inexperienced contractor can potentially make matters worse, which can lead to higher repair bills in the future.
How Are Slab Leaks Repaired And What Is The Time Involved?
Several factors will determine the cost and time that it requires to slab leak repair Mission Viejo. These include the location and severity of the problem. Minor leaks that are near the surface or situated in easy to access locations may be repaired in a matter of a few hours. If the damage is significant and buried deep within the foundation, it can take several days to dig up the concrete, install new plumbing and repair the slab.
The type of repair chosen to correct the damage is another factor affecting the price of the project. Once the leak is isolated the best course of action can be determined, which may include installing a temporary bypass so that your home will still have water. Once the right option is chosen, a repair estimate can be calculated. Options include repairing the damage with single line epoxy or replacing the pipe.
If you need assistance with a slab leak or have another plumbing issue, contact All Star Plumbing and Restoration near you. Our experienced team uses advanced technology to locate the source of the leak so that we do not have to tear up your walls or floors to find it. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to help with slab leak repair Mission Viejo.
- PROFESSIONAL DISCOUNTS
- DISCOUNTED INSURANCE DEDUCTIBLES
- FREE ESTIMATES OR QUOTES
- FREE 24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE
- LICENSED AND INSURED
- 60 MINUTE RESPONSE TIME