Without proper equipment and training, a slab leak is one of the hardest plumbing problems to detect. You often don’t notice it until the damage is done.
We tackle slab leak repairs in Vista, CA. Homes and businesses are prone to this problem – we know that most property owners have questions about this hidden plumbing disaster. We have answers. All Star Plumbing & Restoration is your top choice for a professional slab leak repair in Vista.
What Is a Slab Leak?
The term can seem misleading. Your concrete slab doesn’t leak, but the water pipes and sewer lines running under it can develop small pinhole leaks. They can crack, split or break and soak water into the soil beneath your property’s foundation.
Locating the problem requires special detection equipment, and repairs usually involve cutting through concrete to reach damaged pipes.
Police, Military, Fire,
Seniors & Teachers
*For Services Up to $1000
Why Does It Happen?
Slab leaks have many causes, but these three are the most common here in Southern California:
- Material Corrosion – Underground pipes are in constant contact with naturally occurring chemicals in the soil. Over time, the reaction between pipe material and these chemicals results in corrosion that creates pinholes in the line. This destructive reaction is common in galvanized and copper pipes found in older homes and businesses.
- Vibrations and Abrasions – This type of damage is due to the vibration of water pressure in pipes. The motion rubs pipes against surrounding material, and temperature changes result in pipe expansion and contraction. Constant abrasion against concrete, replacement bar, soil and even other pipes eventually causes cracks and leaks.
- Poor Construction – Older building techniques often resulted in existing slabs that can shift and strain pipes. If a property’s water lines weren’t installed with adequate insulation and support, they can crease and crack. These problems usually occur in area homes and buildings constructed through the 1960s.
How Can You Detect a Slab Leak?
You can’t detect a slab leak without special equipment. However, there are signs that indicate pipes are leaking under your foundation. The following are common symptoms of a slab leak problem:
- The constant sound of running water when all taps are off
- Areas of flooring that stay cool or warm
- Cracks in floors or walls caused by slab shifting
- Mold or mildew growth underneath carpets
- A steady uptick in water bills
When Do You Need Help?
We know that many homeowners can take care of minor plumbing problems around the house, but slab leak repair is never a DIY project. Our certified technicians use state-of-the-art equipment to pinpoint both the location and cause of your slab leak, and we take care of repairs with industry-proven techniques.
If you suspect a slab leak on your property, contact us right away for an inspection. Delays allow leaking water lines to do even more damage and increase the size of the repair job. Our Vista plumbers are available around the clock for slab leak repair in Vista, CA, and throughout northwestern San Diego County. We’re insurance-approved so that we can work directly with your carrier. When you need help, call us first.