Residents of Encinitas, CA, may be able to brag about their city as one of the world’s top 20 surf towns by National Geographic, but the lush, natural beauty of this coastal community doesn’t help when good plumbing goes bad. Fortunately, All Star Plumbing & Restoration can! We are a local company that proudly offers top-notch plumbing services. We’re experts when it comes to slab leak repair in Encinitas. What is a slab leak? It’s a leak in the water or sewer line beneath a building’s foundation. The difficulty in accessing the pipes means that repairing this type of leak poses a challenge.
Indications of a Slab Leak
Since slab leaks occur beneath the concrete foundation of your home or business, the problem may not be immediately obvious. Symptoms that point to a possible slab leak include:
- Cracks in the walls or floors as the result of the shifting foundation
- Mold or mildew beneath your carpeting
- Unexpected warm spots in the floor
- An increase in your water bill
- Sounds of water running when everything is turned out
Potential Causes of a Slab Leak
Slab leaks can be the result of tiny holes in a pipe or a catastrophic failure of a line. The sewer, cold water and hot water lines that are beneath the concrete slab foundation are all at risk. Why do slab leaks happen? There are several possible culprits, including:
- Poor-quality construction: During the installation process, water lines should be properly supported and insulated. When pipes are not installed correctly, pressure can reach excessive levels and cause creases that evolve into cracks.
- Corrosion: Pipe Corrosion is a chemical reaction that occurs between the water, the pipe and the soil surrounding it. Over time, the corrosion compromises the integrity of the line. It’s often an issue in older homes because they have copper and galvanized pipes; lines made from these materials are more vulnerable.
- Pipe movement: As water moves through a pipe, it can set off vibrations. Temperature changes can also have an effect, causing cycles of expansion and contraction. The resulting pipe movement can be a problem if the pipe rubs against other nearby materials. This friction can trigger weak spots and cracks.
What to Do When Slab Leaks Strike
If you see signs that indicate that you may have a slab leak, the best thing to do is to call a qualified professional immediately. Any delay is likely to result in more damage, and that means the problem will be more expensive to fix. A slab leak repair involves pinpointing the leak’s location, and in most cases, it is necessary to cut through the concrete to perform the necessary repairs.
Do you suspect that you will need a slab leak repair in Encinitas home or business? A prompt call to All Star Plumbing & Restoration can protect both your property and your wallet by minimizing the impact with a fast, reliable fix. We’ll verify that a leak is present, educate you about your options and identify the best course of action. Our Plumbers offer 24/7 plumbing service, so there’s no need to wait. Call today to schedule a consultation.